Is it 'safe' to use css grid on ecom site / safari?

Hi!

I’m not a ‘real’ web designer, but have been making websites here and there for years. I’m insanely picky and always had to learn bits of code to hack templates on shopify, squarespace etc because they are way too generic for my tastes.

I got fed up with shopify’s annoying templates and necessity for a million apps to make basic things work. Just discovered webflow…and am now obsessed.

I have been playing around with CSS grid for my new site, and it is awesome.

-HOWEVER- I opened up some practice projects yesterday on various computers and browsers, including a really old macbook air which hasn’t been updated in a long time.
Safari is version 10.0.2 (12602.3.12.0.1)

Was surprised to see that grid COMPLETELY does not work or show up on the browser.

I don’t use safari anymore…I assume most people update…but stilll, this made me worry about using grid on an ecom website…

It seems like grid is pretty widely used so this may be a stupid question but, I’m still wondering what designers making business websites professionally think about grid.
Do you feel it is ‘safe’ to use? Is there a way you make it ‘safer’ for old browsers that may not support it (without creating a bunch of extra work)?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

1 Like

Hey @russianblue

You can learn more about css grid support here > Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

Hope this helps :webflow_heart:

Hi Piter, Thanks for the link! I will try to decipher how it all works…

1 Like