How to remove character limit in form text area

So I have a form on my site to let people upload a short essay but it’s getting cut off well below 2000 words. I’ve tried deleting and adding a new text area object to the form but it still hits the limit.

Update: Fixed the issue by giving the text form a larger character limit.

Hi Melinda,

Are you using a standard Webflow form and Webflow’s standard form handler? It may have limits on the amount of data it will accept and store. The form itself should not be limited though, so you can try some other solutions to capture your content.

Two ideas-

Form directly wired to Basin, which may not have those limits.

Form directy wired to a Make webhook, which then does something with the content, like create a Google Doc with it in a folder you can access.

hi @jetgirlart as I was surprised by limit so I have done some testing creating a text with length of 2416 words that is in English 17067 characters.

The result of accepting a long text is :

Is CMS to be able accept and store long text?

1. CMS rich text field - OK
  2. CMS text multiline field - OK

Is Form <textarea> able to accept long text?

1. standard WF textarea - NO
  2. standard WF text area with custom attribute maxlength=30000 - OK
  3. HTML embed with plain <textarea> element inside WF form - OK

conclusion
Adding custom attribute maxlength=xxxxx to WF textarea or adding custom <textarea> will solve issue with cutting text to exactly 5000 characters that WF has set internally.

m2c

This doesn’t seem to be working for me unfortunately, I’ve added the max length equals 10,000 to customer tribute for the form text area, but the form keeps failing to submit due to the large text input, any ideas? Thanks!

hi @WrightDesigner How I can have an idea why it doesn’t work for you when you do not follow basic forum rules for request. Anyway, try to use number without comma separator like this maxlength=10000 and not wrong format maxlength=10,000 :man_shrugging:

Hi, thanks for your reply very much appreciated, apologies, I’m not aware of any forum request rules? I did not include the comma in the custom attributes, just on this forum for ease of visual viewing.

1 Like

hi @WrightDesigner no worry, the best way to get help is to follow the forum post guide that is pinned on top of each section, if you have missed it here they are.

When posting please:

• Required: Share your project’s Read-Only link and live site’s Published link
  • The read-only link is a special URL generated in the Dashboard to allow others to view your project in the Webflow Designer. How to get your project’s read-only link?
  • The published link is the webflow.io subdomain where you can view the live site with custom code running. It is IMPORTANT to share this link, as custom code (eg. javaScript) does not run in the Designer.
  • Describe issue in detail including what page, section and/or element is localized
  • Upload as many screenshots as possible or provide screencast videos to help others help you faster
  • Add a description and/or post a link to a working example of what you’re trying to achieve
  • Reply to users by tagging using the @ sign followed by their forum username like this: @forumMemberName
1 Like

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/heal-scotland?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=heal-scotland&preview=cb4cf36a377cdd040b17a5981d516e35&pageId=613f2ddd523c9b3c01cf63a0&workflow=preview

I have tried adding the custom attributes, but it has had no effect:
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 18.10.59

Screenshot of form entry point in question:

Thanks in advance for any help :slightly_smiling_face:

hi @WrightDesigner text limit to 10000 characters works as expected.

As you can see in video when I paste 9880ch again text is cropped to fill exactly 10000. :man_shrugging:

I see you have in text note warning limit set to 2500 characters so why 10000 anyway? Just set max to 2500 that’s it.

Thanks for looking into this, I have set the character limit to 2500, as the form fails to submit if there is more text than this. It’s not a case of cant put the text in, it’s a case of the form doesn’t submit if there is more than 2500 characters?

hmm, That is strange but your form is very complex and as you can find here on forum WF form is a very simple and recommendation are not to use it not only for its simplicity and internal limitation setting but also for security. Just search in forum about spamming form issue. You will also find some recommendation what to use instead. :man_shrugging:

Thanks, yes it’s a big form, but has been fine for over two years of use, perhaps Webflow has changed something. I will contact support directly. I also have an issue with images not importing from the image uploaded, when, again, it’s been fine for the last 2 years. Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated.

1 Like

Good luck with support

That doesn’t surprise me much, I’d expect Webflow’s form submission handler to have text size limits, and a lot of changes were made there in 2023 during the spam wars.

If you need larger limits you might switch to a 3rd party handler, we use Basin.