Hi, I'm Mo from the UK, confused and need help

Hi everybody here, hope to get some help here. I came across Webflow a few weeks ago, I’ve been trying to get answers to some questions. I am confused and need help.
I’m a novice, learning Html and CSS at present, I wish to learn Web Design but I am stuck and confused about the actual process, the whole workflow steps, plz excuse me for my ignorance but I would appreciate your sincere reply and advice.

I am trying to work out how Webflow actually fits into the Web design workflow?

I am learning responsive web design at present and about to take a hands-on in-class short intensive also to get more confident. The backend is what scares me.

I heard that Webflow takes care of the Backend, is this true? If so then how exactly? By saving the headache of coding with PHP and other server-side languages? Is it as secure as a Web Dev doing the backend programming?

Does paying for a Pro plan Account mean we are able to make an unlimited amount of projects with white labelling (Webflow logo taken off- which I think the forums explain how after the upgrade) and be able to export the source code from unlimited projects when they reach the end stage, then we can customize further after taking the source code? Is this correct?

Is it true that you also give the option to host the project on Webflow then ONLY we pay hosting for each project? Does this fully secure the backend of the site, completely? No backend coding needed? Is it that simple? And apart from that we need to buy a domain name only? Is that it? Excuse me for my ignorance, just confused as I thought I would either have to learn to become Full-stack or either learn enough for Front-End ONLY then out-source for the backend which may be risky.

Is it true that with Webflow then there is no need for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator? Or are they useful in some other part of the Web Design process? If Webflow does give similar features to Photoshop or Illustrator then how plz?

If this is all true, then does it mean that a person can learn Html, CSS, Javascript, and go through the Workflow tutorials, then start to design their websites in Workflow, then customise them with their skills in Html, CSS and Javascript, then upon completion host them on Webflow also?

And all backend issues will be taken care of as part of the hosting plan?

And also be able to modify, update from time to time?

How can we add other features if they are not in Webflow? Do we have to export the project to another hosting company then only we can add the features?

As you can see from my questions, I wish to become a Freelance Web Designer, but I’m hesitant due to some worries arising from confusion. I would appreciate your reply and advice, please.

Thank you.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to the Webflow Community! :smiley: Super glad you’ve joined us and starting your Webflow journey. I, and the rest of the community, are happy to help you with any questions you may have.

As for your first questions, lets go through them one-by-one:

I am trying to work out how Webflow actually fits into the Web design workflow?

Webflow can be used in multiple different ways. It’s all about how comfortable you are with the tool. Here are a few examples:

• use it to create wireframes
  • use it to create prototypes
  • use it to create the code for front-end designs that can be exported and used for a web app
  • use it to create a site, host it on Webflow and maintain it on Webflow servers

I heard that Webflow takes care of the Backend, is this true? If so then how exactly? By saving the headache of coding with PHP and other server-side languages? Is it as secure as a Web Dev doing the backend programming?

Yes. You don’t need to learn PHP or code any backend stuff. Watch these videos for more information:

Does paying for a Pro plan Account mean we are able to make an unlimited amount of projects

Yes.

with white labelling

You can remove references to Webflow in your code and change the Webflow logo on the CMS Editor:

and be able to export the source code from unlimited projects when they reach the end stage, then we can customize further after taking the source code? Is this correct?

Yes. For more information on this, please view this article:

Is it true that you also give the option to host the project on Webflow then ONLY we pay hosting for each project?

Yes.

Does this fully secure the backend of the site, completely? No backend coding needed? Is it that simple?

Yes, yes and VERY yes :slight_smile: Just press publish and we handle all the hosting and security. For more information on this, please view this article: What to look for in a web hosting service | Webflow Blog

Is it true that with Webflow then there is no need for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator?

Webflow is a web design tool. Photoshop is a raster image-editor. Illustrator is a vector graphic editor. These are very different tools for very different uses.

If this is all true, then does it mean that a person can learn Html, CSS, Javascript, and go through the Workflow tutorials, then start to design their websites in Workflow, then customise them with their skills in Html, CSS and Javascript, then upon completion host them on Webflow also?

Very true. Try starting here:

And all backend issues will be taken care of as part of the hosting plan?

Yes

And also be able to modify, update from time to time?

Yes. For more information on this, please view this article:

How can we add other features if they are not in Webflow? Do we have to export the project to another hosting company then only we can add the features?

You can add custom code to your Webflow hosted site:

Or integrate it with a third-party app:

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for those clarifications. Really appreciated, you made my day. As a last couple of questions, I intend to design websites for small to medium size businesses such as Electricians, Plumbers, Builders, Restaurants, Takeaways, maybe even for schools and private Institutes for example. What can we do and what can we NOT do with Webflow? What are the limits? What types of websites can be designed? What types can NOT be designed? This is puzzling me.

And I gather we just need to make sure we enroll the client who the website was designed for onto a monthly fee to pay for the hosting? Can we charge more than the cost of the monthly hosting to cover modifications and so forth? Or do we have to only charge the hosting fee and that too ONLY directly through Webflow?

You see I’m trying to set up as a Freelance Web Designer who designs it with all the needed features for that particular client including customizing, selling it to the client for a fixed price, not a crazy amount as I never coded it fully myself, then get a regular monthly recurring revenue by way of a monthly maintenance fee which will include the hosting. I think I only need to learn Html, CSS, Javascript, learn the basics of Photoshop, go through the Webflow tutorials and links you shared with me, learn about how to market and manage myself in Freelance and keep tight with the Webflow community. I think this is what will make me successful. This is what I intend. Please mention to me any advice and tips on how to fully exploit Webflow, what skills are needed or would help?

Thank you.

Good for you seeking a great future in the right place. Just keep at it. It will all start to make sense after awhile.

I’m new at this as well, but I believe you charge your client whatever you want and add the hosting in there as well. They don’t need to know what you pay, but just put it in the package deal. My thoughts.

Web Developers and Web Designers are 2 separate skills and professions; however, learning both I believe to be the only way to go. You need to adjust your vision on the fly!

You also asked about what WebFlow can or can’t do. I’m sure there’s things it can’t do, but I don’t know what they are and don’t care. This thing is so powerful and handles all, if not more, of my needs than I can shake a stick at.

2 Likes