Google Universal Analytics Event tracking without Using Google Tag Manager

Hi all,

Was really glad to see this thread pop up and that folks have been successful with GA Event Tracking + Webflow. I’m running into some issues though in getting events to actually report back in to GA.

Specifically, I want to be tracking clicks on links that lead users to download an .exe hosted on AWS …and eventually plenty of other things on-site and off. I made a quick non-indexed page just for testing a single event on a single external download link:
https://www.getvida.io/event-testing

(I do have a Webflow public share link ready but given the nature of this project would prefer to see what we can do before posting that)

When I’m logged in to Google Analytics on the Real-time > Events view, I’m not seeing any activity come through, even after clicking the link in different browsers and networks. I’ve also made sure to toggle in that view from “Users” to “Events (Last 30 min)”

Here’s what else I’ve done so far:

• I had followed the instructions posted by Chris on 12/19/17 and the gtag.js code is now in the head of all pages rather than doing it site-wide through Dashboard > Custom Code. I’ve also removed our tracking ID from Dashboard > Integrations and disabled IP Address Anonymization just in case that was getting in the way of anything.

• I’ve used custom attributes as described in Chris’ post with spaces between each attribute. I also tried removing the spaces as seen in other forum posts (like this one)

Any thoughts as to why I’m not seeing anything come through? Is it possible that there’s a full 24 hour delay before results will trickle in even though real-time user counts seem to be working OK?

Thanks,
Ian