Google Speed Insights Question Before Switching

Hello Webflow community. My name is George and this is my first post!
I run a technology niche website on wordpress with over 1,500 articles published.
I am thinking to switch on flow but i have some serious questions before i do so.
Speed optimization is vital for me in order to make it into google discovery, news etc.
Most of the webflow templates i see on the market score very bad on mobile when using page speed insights.
I see scores like 60-70, at best 80, which is also typical in wordpress but with optimization plugins i manage to score over 90 on wordpress.

My question is, is there any way to pass all google tests using a webflow template on the market following any-kind of settings (that doesnt need coding) template makers haven’t done already?
I see people say webflow is fast, but i really need to be sure i can pass google tests before switching to webflow.
Thank you very much, any input will be highly appreciated.
Yours,
George

Hi @Stay - Welcome to the forum.

Short answer is no. You can’t further optimize forced loaded assets, only optional ones. Staying away from Google fonts is helpful and loading your own font files from the project will improve overall load times and metrics is you use additional fonts. Webflow serves monolithic CSS and JS versus breaking the files up which is a real issue.

My WP sites get much higher scores because I can control everything. From what assets are loaded, when they are, and how. My custom-hosted and built WP sites are hitting high 90s on mobile. When JQuery is not needed and then not loaded, 100. These are sites where the best I could pull was low 80s on WF. In pagespeed.dev the webflow.com site is a 36 on mobile with 54 seconds for time to interactive and does not pass core web vitals plus it has a pitiful 16,270 ms total blocking time. Wordpress? 90 and passes CVV with 4.8 second load and 20ms total blocking. I guess when you primarily rely on advertising, it doesn’t matter.

There are other considerations as well.
In WP, you can theme a post, by tag, by individual category, taxonomy, etc., whereas the limitation of one collection template in WF. Conditionals in WF are not an equivalent feature since the content is hidden through CSS but still loaded by the browser. My clients have told me they prefer the freedom of using Gutenberg over RTF editing in WP. In WP, the user can easily add complex content and content layouts, columns created, photo galleries implemented, forms inserted, etc… I agree with them. Another significant pain with WF is post publish dates that will change on import, listing post archives, RSS, membership limitations, post limits, and more.

What features would you gain by migrating? If the answer is designing control in WF, there are now excellent page builders that give you complete control at a more granular level. When considering platform changes, you have to take much into account. Hosting? There are plenty of quality high performance options available. I host all my WP clients with no issues and blazing fast page delivery.

I like many things about Webflow, and it is the right fit for some of my projects. I don’t personally recommend using it as a blogging platform. This should not be read as a bash against WF but rather observations from real-world personal experience. Hope you find this helpful.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply @webdev.
You raised some incredible points here.
Since my website offers much more than articles, i was thinking of moving the blog to Webflow and keep wordpress for the rest of services, as a way not to bloat the website and supposedly, get the same scores on blog pieces.
Once again, i would like to thank you very much for your time.
With respect
George.

@stay, you’re welcome. If you run into specific things you can’t find an answer to by searching the forum or the webflow university, be sure to post in the forum. Someone will try to assist. The Facebook group is pretty active too. Peace.