Foxy and Webflow CMS - Products options

I would like these too Josh :slight_smile: pretty please

@Claire_Ellis Emailed. :slight_smile:

Can I get these instructions too please?

Hi @bbgoldm.
Just messaged you.

Thanks,
Josh

can i get those too?

Hi @mmf.
For sure. Mind emailing us your read-only link and details on your use case/needs and we’ll get you pointed in the right direction: hello@foxy.io

Thanks,
Josh

Maybe through here is easier as replies seem to come by faster on the forums than via email support. We’ve been exchanging e-mails for a while, sent one yesterday, answering the questions I had previously answered in an email with read only link enabled and the info asked for a second time clearly on display.

So this is kinda a desperate last resort, dreaming I can get some message like “Instructions have been sent.”, a piece of code I can modify, a small guide, someone willing to put their site on read-only mode maybe so I can see what’s happening and translate it into mine…idk, something.
This is the first time I’m having a product problem for which there are no public answers, only “I’ll DM you the instructions”, so I’m hoping I get to be one of the lucky ppl who get the instructions DMed for this simple situation…please?

It’s basically just this:

I need Foxy to recognize 2 types of variants and update the price on one of them.

1 - size - doesn’t change the price and the only requirement is that the store manager receives the info regarding which size was chosen - this one is sorted as it doesn’t need to modify anything and easy to grasp with the info your setup guides provide

2 - length - increases in length will increase the price (values are previously defined, so it’s a case of Product X with 5cm = 10€, Product X with 10cm = 12€) - this one i am lost about the custom code I should add, foxy’s dynamic price calculation script has been added, but I’m not finding the instructions to move forward.

Hi @mmf.
Thank you for this info. If you’ve already emailed, let’s keep the conversation going there (our entire team has access then). Feel free to message us your email and I can confirm on a reply.

Thanks,
Josh

To confirm, we’re in no way affiliated with Webflow. We continually check the forums since we have so many Webflow users who use Foxy, but this is not our support channel. Also, posting a snippet of code that fits one use case generally causes more confusion for other users when it doesn’t fit their use case.

Our goal is to get you the right answers quickly, not just any answer. Thank you for your understanding.

Josh

Yes, I completely understand you are in no way affiliated with Webflow, which is why I find it odd that answers here come by much faster than through your customer support lately, which is why I decided to try my luck through here - particularly on this thread where you seemed to have DMed the instructions previously to other users without the need for further clarifications.

Also understand that the goal is to get the right answer and not just any answer, but as you can see through this platform, Webflow users and staff generally reply publicly to questions, which allows for future users to solve their problems by adapting solutions and not having to wait for a customer support that sometimes is fast and clear but other times…24h is a really long time if you’re having to keep a store offline.

Considering this variant situation is always popping up here and there are no guides about it nor foxy official examples for it and foxy is a paid product advertised upon trying to be accessible, it would be nice if people could find some answers online instead of ending always hitting a “I DMed you”.
(Which is particularly frustrating for younger / not very experience people who are learning on the job and have not been able to come to a solution through the documentation, but have a question that seems to be recurring across both this and foxy’s forum. It would be really helpful at least until there’s some official guide like there is for the basic setup)

Please note I am not complaining about your product - only good experiences with it if we ignore this variant setup problem - nor your customer support - answers generally come by in 24h, worst I experienced was a 72h wait between emails - but as you can imagine 24h between emails easily translates into weeks, and some of those emails, or maybe all of them, could have been sparred if only some answers to questions asked on this forum were made public.

I DMed you my email address.

Thank you for your time once again.

Hi @mmf
Thank you for your feedback. I completely understand. Just replied to your email by the way. The use cases for variants seem to differ almost every time we help a Webflow user so that’s why we try to do a bit more hand holding and get more info first and then send customized instructions.

That said, we just brought on two new hires which will allow me more time to get some tutorials knocked out that cover general use cases for variants. Thanks for your patience there.

To confirm, had I simply posted a snippet for you, I think it would have just brought more confusion and probably wouldn’t have helped any other users. Context is everything. You had a couple of issues in your existing setup as well as some other items that I wanted to clarify on. I was able to do this easily via our email thread.

We work hard to respond to emails within a business day but it’s generally within a few hours, sometimes even minutes. We’re not perfect at this, but try to get as close as we can. I understand 24 hours can seem like ages, (I’ve been on the other end) but thank you for your understanding.

Josh

I’d like to second your comments @mmf. I honestly can’t fault Foxy’s (and Josh’s) customer service - for me it’s been nothing but absolutely outstanding and a prime example of how any business should operate when dealing with clients. Absolutely every problem I’ve had, Josh has helped me with.

However…
I don’t think I’m alone in my attraction to Webflow being no- or low-code. My business, for the moment, is tiny and we couldn’t possibly imagine having the budget for a developer. It’s a frustration not being able to afford the website you want, with the capability you want, that’ll help you stand out. So like others, Webflow seemed to be the answer, and with it’s obvious and plentiful e-commerce limitations Foxy was an obvious choice for e-commerce functionality. The problem is me, and users like me. We’re not developers. We try to wrap our heads around things and find the answers ourselves, likely by trawling forums - chances are that’s exactly how we came upon Webflow and Foxy as a solution to our needs, so I can definitely relate when @mmf expresses frustration at finding a forum thread that poses a similar question to the one I’m currently researching only for the answer to be “email me and we’ll discuss”.

As I’ve said, Josh and Foxy are amazing at providing solutions when you do email, but there does seem to be a lot of cases where it would be lovely if that answer provided were then shared. If one were to look through the old Foxycart forums, this approach definitely seemed to be encouraged - if a solution were found it would then be published for others to reference.

Lets look at it from the perspective of a business owner, not a developer. There’s a pretty good chance you’re used to e-commerce platforms, tools that provide detailed analytics, order tracking, etc etc. Foxy is great because it decouples that, it focuses on what it is and be a better tool because of that focus. But for those coming from an all-inclusive platform that “you can connect it with whatever tools you want” stance is both overwhelming and misleading - you can if you have a developer. So why not have a guide to start folks off? “This is how you can use Foxy, Zapier (or integromat etc), Airtable and Webflow for a basic e-commerce solution” Why not have some simple little guides for basic use cases - setting up shipping forexample, or setting up variants? The solution Josh gave me for my variants is likely common enough to fit a good number of cases - he even published a post on these forums about how to automate the generation of the same data to go in a CMS field using Airtable. So if its common enough for that little tease, why not turn it into a guide?

The e-commerce templates are my current bugbear. The default foxycart ones are very dated and I’d love to clean them up visually, but as I’ve said, I’m not a developer and trying to follow the documentation yields baffling results for me (the documentation is for developers…not me). You can enter in CSS overrides in the configuration, but that’s a tedious process of using developer tools to identify the classes you want to change, apply the css, republish, refresh, and test to see if the desired result applies… Surely there’s a better way? Chances are it is relatively simple given a nudge “stick this snippet here and then you can do this” or why not create a sandbox environment to play with the CSS of the templates? Or even just some options in configuration to choose fonts and default colours.

The Foxy documentation seems to be pretty great… If you’re a developer. I am actually really excited to get my website finished and up and running with foxy. Every solution Josh has given me has yielded results I’m incredibly happy with and at no point do I feel like I am compromising what I want with the solution he gives me, but gosh I wish Foxy paid more attention to helping all the non-developers find solutions. There’ve been many occasions when I’ve almost thrown my hands in the air in frustration and thought maybe I should just use webflow’s e-commerce… but it doesn’t have subscriptions, it doesn’t have multicurrency, it doesn’t even have the flexibility in design that foxycart does using Webflow (using foxycart I can create product option buttons with images… why can’t I do that using normal webflow?!) and I know that foxy will give me exactly the result I want, and the customer experience I want. It’s a great tool and for the price I don’t think there’s anything comparable. I just wish it were more user-friendly.

1 Like

Hi @Alexander_MacIntyre.
Thank you for your feedback. We hear you loud and clear and are making internal changes to fix some of the issues and frustrations you mentioned.

Foxy started out as a developer focused tool. It’s still mainly that, but we’re working hard to provide more non-dev resources and functionality. As mentioned, we’ve recently brought on new hires, which will allow us to invest more time into tutorials and resources (event specific to Webflow).

We’ll never be a design tool like Webflow (when it comes to allowing everything to be visually designed/controlled), but we’re making progress on the following, which will hopefully make things easier for everyone:

New Tutorials and Guides
As mentioned previously, we’ve got more resources coming. We’ll be working on grouping articles together for full walkthrough guides.

New Templates
Cleaner, less opinionated designs that will be easier to style and modify.

New Admin
More modern design, easier navigation, faster loading, etc.

Drop-in Customer Portal (in beta)

Drop-in Donation Widget (in beta)
https://foxy-donation-widget.webflow.io/

Drop-in Add To Cart Widget (planned)
Similar to the donation widget, will be a general add to cart widget that you can embed anywhere. Easily configure product name, price, options, etc. Configurations can be made with Webflow CMS data even.

It seems there’s a price to pay for being developer focused and there’s a price to pay for being designer focused (no-code). We won’t be able to make everyone happy, but we’re doing our best to provide super flexible ecommerce, while still making it easy (as possible) for non-developers.

Thank you again for your feedback and for your understanding/patience.

Josh

Hi all.
I’m happy to say that last night, we posted a super detailed tutorial for setting up product variants with Webflow CMS: Manage product variants with Webflow CMS | Foxy.io

There’s more to come. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance.

Thanks,
Josh

1 Like

super glad to hear!

and a really great tutorial, everything very clearly explained as always.

thank you so much Josh and Foxy team

1 Like

@mmf - Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know if we can help with anything.

Josh