When I discovered that our contact form at Contact Us - Bureau Works was not sending messages, I immediately restored a backup from 20 hours ago. However, this did not resolve the issue.
Next, I regenerated the Google Captcha Keys for the form, but unfortunately, this did not work either. I then disabled the captcha altogether, but the form still did not work.
We are experiencing issues with the forms on our second Webflow installation. The following link is an example of a page where the forms are not working correctly:
In addition, I have recently disabled several JS insertions in our Google Tag Manager, despite not making any recent changes in our GTM.
Please let me know if anyone is facing the same issues.