Finsweet client first doesn’t make sense

Hi all!

I recently had an agency talk to me about the finsweet client first method of structure and naming. I took a look at some of the tutorials for it and the site structure frankly makes zero sense to me. With Webflow I’ve always structured my sites as body, section, container, content and styled each section with a global class containing padding and then had nested classes for specific styling.

The way that they have it is they have these wrappers around every single piece of content along with divs that only control things like padding. Meaning that every time that you create a new section and you want to add global padding you have to add another Div within each outer div before you can start building it out. It just seems incredibly overcomplicated for seemingly no reason. Can someone chime in who may have some knowledge of why it’s like this and why this would be at all better?

I’ve attached a screenshot of their site structure.

1 Like

@DFink - You really can’t use utility classes in Webflow without this kind of approach. I think it is a severe limitation in the product. Off Webflow I can build sites twice as fast using custom CSS frameworks that keep it DRY without nesting DIV’s. I use variables all over my builds there. Client First makes sense in a larger agency environment since you are using a defined pattern.

1 Like

Hey @DFink,

Interesting perspective here.

Honestly, from my view, client-first is a mindset rather that strict methodology. I happen to think your way of structuring sites makes perfect sense; however, I believe the majority of Webflow users don’t have a clue how to properly build a site in a no code platform, let alone global classes and naming conventions.

Second, it’s in the name: Client First. Often agencies/freelancers hand the website off to the client. This methodology seemingly allows any client to look at the structure and understand what is happening. IE: margin-top = the margin above the words that I’ve selected.

In the end…whatever works for you, your agency, your client, and anyone else messing around with the platform.

So yeah…that’s all I’ve got for ya.

1 Like

But you can make global classes you can apply like nested classes. But this type of structure makes no sense to me.

That’s very true about not knowing how to structure a site. However the look of this side panel structure especially if collapsed would be so confusing. I think my way of structuring sites makes much more sense. I’ll post a screenshot and get your opinion.

3 Likes

@DFink Yeah, I’d love to learn a little more about how you’re doing it.

Honestly, the “client-first” structure is very unfriendly to most clients.
It is overcomplicated, and sets unnecessary rules and obstacles for any ordinary user.

I mean Finsweet is super amazing in making the js libraries,
but for client-first, it seems like it is misleading many Webflow users to follow this religions, which turns out limited their creativity.

2 Likes

@anthonychan2509 Rules are meant to be broken though…

The structure is exactly that, a structure. It will likely help a lot of people be successful in Webflow and become proficient in it.