File upload restrictions (file types) not working Windows

Hi - I have created a form with a file upload - having set the file type restrictions I would like and tested in OSX/Windows, it only seems to be limiting which files can be added in OSX.

My client has just uploaded a .tiff which is not currently in my list.

Any ideas how I can get this working greatly appreciated!
Thanks

See the ‘How to enter’ page’

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/lwt-photo-comp?utm_source=lwt-photo-comp&preview=34b2c7cbb093964047c4da37ec7622a2
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi @gp99 - .tiff file types are supported in form file uploads. The max size for uploads is 10 MB. Is it possible that the client is trying to upload a tiff larger than that? Tiff files are usually very large, that is why I ask.

Thanks for getting back to me. I probably didn’t explain myself very well. I see that .tiff is allowed by default, however I have not included ‘.tiff’ in my allowed list (see prev screenshot). Also My Client (On windows) can add .tiff regardless, I (on OSX) cannot.

I can also add .cat/.dat/.bmp files to the file up-loaders in Windows.

I’m wondering why there is a difference it what it accepts depending on the operating system being used and why I can’t stop .tiff files being allowed based on my entered preferences.

Thanks

Hello, @gp99!!

Thanks so much for sharing! I did some testing on my end and I’m not allowed to upload TIFF files or any of the restricted items you mentioned. :thinking:

I tested on both Windows and Mac, but maybe I’m not using the same browser that you and your client are.

Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Edge 17 and Chrome 70 on Windows 10 - both are allowing me add those files… Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, @gp99!

Thanks so much for sharing. I did some testing and I was not able to reproduce this issue using Chrome and Windows 10. I was however able to see the problem when using Edge. I tested this with Firefox, Safari, and Chrome and in multiple OS environments and the only issue I found was with Edge.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the Edge browser:

It seems that it’s an issue they know about and are working on. You may want to hit up the Microsoft team so they can file an additional report!

Let me know if you need anything else and I’ll be happy to assist! :smiley:

Hi Thanks for checking this out…

I have just tried IE 11 (Windows 10) too and updated Chrome to v74 and it is still allowing me to add .tff and .txt files in both.

I also tired on another windows 10 machine (edge) and IE with the same results.

When you browse to your upload, by default Windows restricts which files you can see, but if you simply choose ‘All files’ you can add all the files mentioned.

So basically anyone using this file upload on Win 10 seems to be able to add whole range of files not specified by the file upload.

The site will be inviting members of the public to upload images, so this feels like quite a potential risk!

Thanks

Hi, @gp99!!

Thanks for the additional information! I did some testing on my end with Windows and Chrome and using that method I can upload additional file types. Doing some more testing now and I’ll let you know what I find!

Brilliant thanks.

Hopefully there is a way to make windows disable the ‘all files ‘ option . Or adhere to the rules set in the form…

Hi Riley - any news on this? Thanks

Hi - my client has reported that users are successfully submitting forms either with no file attached (even though the file upload is required) and uploading file types not permitted (i.e videos). I have asked them to try to find out which OS/Browsers they are using. Please could you look into this?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.