Feedback: Upload up to 25 images at once with the new multi-image field

Great ideas @deep-image, and thanks for your feedback. Over the new few months, we’ll be figuring out exactly what we want to work on next, and will definitely keep these items in mind. :slight_smile:

Hey @BUMPandHUSTLE, thanks for your question. As you observed, at the moment, you can only connect a multi-image field to a collection list on a collection template page. In your example, you actually wouldn’t be able to display galleries from multiple products at once. I wonder if @kkilat can help surface any workarounds for this. :smile:

1 Like

Long way to set alts → extra clicks + No way to know if image x with//without alt.

and in English? :wink:

Hey all! Thanks for checking out the CMS Multi-Image Field and providing your feedback, comments, and questions here. Let me try to respond to a few of them:

1. Can we see image size data and dimension data (i.e. 200kb - 1000px x 1000px) under each image? And can we also see this data in the regular image field (just the dimensions missing there)?

I think that is a solid suggestion, and our designers have been thinking through different concepts and possible changes to what ‘metadata’ we display for images in these different cases (Multi-Image Field, Single Image Field, Asset Manager). Will definitely share this feedback @Diarmuid_Sexton

1. Can it be made easier to delete / edit the alt - it’s curretly 2 clicks - can it be made to just a single click. Maybe two separate small icons on each image? Perhaps alt and click the icon to delete?

Long way to set alts → extra clicks + No way to know if image x with//without alt.

Also great feedback that I can certainly relate to, using this new feature more and more myself. Will share these thoughts with our team as well! @Diarmuid_Sexton @Siton_Systems

1. Will it be possible to include captions also for each image? This would probably be separate to the alt attribute.
  1. Furthering the previous suggestion, it would be good to have three fields for each uploaded image (Possibly “name”, “date” & “caption”). As a photographer this would provide huge flexibility.

Anybody has an html embed to show the “alt” text right next to a “multiple image” the image?

Caption support is on our backlog as an enhancement to add – certainly makes sense! Also, we implemented the Multi-Image Field from a technical perspective in a way that would make it at least possible to add additional ‘fields’ to be associated with each image as well. So there is flexibility for us to further explore many options here going forward. @Diarmuid_Sexton @Magicopit @deep-image @illustregrafik @Rob_Sturgess-Durden

1. I just ran a test and image optimisation doesn’t seem to be enabled. Will there be image optimisation on Multi-Image fields down the line? Without it, thumbnail images will cause pages to become bloated and slow loading - a few MBs in size - depending on the number and quality of images in the gallery.
  2. Also, normally, image optimisation only works when the image is used as an image and not as a background image. Again, users will probably want to use images in the multi-image field as background images for lightboxes so that they can keep ratios consistent - i.e. square crop. I know in the original responsive image blog post from September 2016 it mentioned “a future iteration”. Is this in the pipeline or has it been shelved?

Responsive images should be working with Multi-Image Field content bound to image elements – but there is a bug right now! Thank you for bringing that to our attention. It should be fixed soon.

As for responsive image support for background images, we hear you – but that will still have to be a future enhancement for us to prioritize.

@Diarmuid_Sexton @webdev

1. Is there a future possibility to use at the very least, the first image from the multi image field on other pages? Or even better, could we use a full multi image field on any page (possibly if it’s nested inside an actual collection list?)

It did not seem obvious to me that the ONLY way to get multi-image selectable in the drop down is to do so on the Template page only. Wasted a few hours on that one.

Working on it. The way we implemented Multi-Image Field will actually make it so the ability to add Multi-Image Field content to pages other than CMS Template pages, is the same functionality involved in making Nested Collection Lists possible in general. So as we make that more general – and obviously highly requested – feature possible, Multi-Image support will come for free!

@deep-image @BUMPandHUSTLE @fatpuppy

Hope that helps!

10 Likes

Great work! Does zapier support this yet?

My heart just did a little pitter-patter re: nested collection lists :heart_eyes: is this really coming soon?

Great work in general guys, and thanks so much for the responses on everything! It’s amazing to be working with the product of a company that actually prioritizes excellent customer support. Thank you thank you!

As a heavily batch import user. when can I import multiple image in to multi-image field. if posible. That is a life-saver

I was having the same problem as your point 2, but have just realised it only works on the CMS Template pages. Thanks to @BUMPandHUSTLE for pointing that out.

@sarahfrison, I’m finally getting back to the website I need this for and I’m really confused by your statement that “you need a lightbox component but they should be automatically added to each collection item.”

The instructions at Multi-image field overview | Webflow University say “add a lightbox component in the collection list.” But you can’t add a lightbox to a collection list. So what am I missing?

@fatpuppy you should add the lightbox inside the collection item that’s displayed in a collection list. The collection list has to be displayed on the collection page for this to work at the moment. So adding a collection list to a static page won’t work for multi-image fields.

1 Like

@sarahfrison So I would have a separate lightbox inside each collection item?

Hey @fatpuppy! When you add a lightbox to one collection item, it will automatically add a lightbox to all the collection items in your list. Like @sarahfrison said, multi-image fields can only be bound to bound to a collection list on a collection template page (that covers CMS and Ecommerce). Let me know if you need any more clarification!

@gaby_izarra thanks, I understand how that works. My confusion was that the instructions say “add the lightbox to the collection list.” If it had said “add the lightbox to the collection item” there would have been no confusion.

hi @gaby_izarra or any webflow gurus out there,

I’m looking at using the multi-image for an upcoming project using the CMS and lightbox. Please see links to my example below. Is it possible to make the main hero image of the car part of the lightbox?

I added the hero image of a car from another field in the CMS and rest of the gallery showing the car below using light box and multi-image.

Live link: https://scotts-exceptional-project-02d5ab.webflow.io/cars-for-sale/austin-healey-100-4

Read only link:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/scotts-exceptional-project-02d5ab?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=scotts-exceptional-project-02d5ab&preview=a868fde356aa0f5a052e468fb489f8e6&pageId=5d9872b4574a7d44d01b179b&itemId=5d9872ece288d8e3d59b2a36&mode=preview

I have thought to not upload the main image twice but I still think people will just want to click on the main image which then fires up the lightbox. I also think the client would prefer just to batch upload into one field for ease of use.

Just had a thought - does this now need to be posted in a separate thread?

Many thanks

Matt

Hi @gaby_izarra,

Think I’ve solved after watching: Sneak peek at major updates to CSS grid in Webflow - YouTube

Think I’ve got lucky with the release timing of the multi-feature and lightbox and this new project.
https://scotts-exceptional-project-02d5ab.webflow.io/cars-for-sale

Thanks

Matt

Please use your voting power to help add captions to multi image field lightbox
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-2156

1 Like

Upvote on #4 Please!