Escape URL encoding of special characters

How do I force the URL text to not convert special characters to url encoded characters?

I am using CouchCMS for content management and I need webflow to use this:
<cms:show k_site_link />business-operations

But webflow automatically converts it to:
http://&lt;cms:show k_site_link /&gt;business-operations

Any ideas to force webflow not to convert the special characters?

Hey Jeff,

can you explain why couchCMS needs < & > in the URL?
Normally special characters are encoded by default to prevent issues.

@RDaneelOliwav CouchCMS uses custom <cms:xxxx /> tags in the HTML templates to enable dynamic functionality.

An example would <cms:editable name=“description” > </cms:edit> and that would create an editable area in the backend.

In this case, CouchCMS handles pretty URL’s and all kinds of fun stuff like that. The <cms:show k_site_link /> tag gets replaced with the base URL of the website.

Basically I don’t wanna have to go and manually edit all the URL’s on a page when I update the design in Webflow.

Hope that makes sense.

Are we talking about the actual URL’s of your site or just custom code embeds containing the couchCMS cms:XX tags?
WF shouldn’t mess with the contents of custom code blocks.

@RDaneelOliwav This is for when I specify the URL for a link. So let’s say I have a link block and go to settings of said link block and specify “External Page” and then set the URL field. I would hope there some way to bypass the automatic url encoding.

I’ve seen this done before by either using a back tick or quotes around the whole string. I tried the back tick and it does remove the automatic “http://” part but it doesn’t skip the urlencode().

Well, you can’t make WF not encode the target URL. You could try to rebuild the link block from custom code, I think WF will not touch it then. Maybe couchCMS has some special options to search for custom tags on your site?

Thanks for your reply. I think it would make sense for Webflow to have an option to escape the automatic urlencode(). I’m sure this is not the only situation where somebody might want to put something custom in that field and not have it tampered with.

1 Like

Yep, the same applies to reserved names for the custom attributes ;D

1 Like