RESOLVED: Designer loading slowly and other issues

I’m having issues with Editor performance too. It takes an age to update, text won’t edit or when it does it becomes completly jumbled. Cursor jumping all over the place.

I’ve tried emptying cache, publishing and a different browser. It’s really struggling with symbols. They won’t display in safari at all. Blank page…

Share link…
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/smiddyfarmshop?preview=3a817ee171fe9b1c38270a87b3c6f410

1 Like

Hi @WillPrice

I’ve broken this comment off into a new thread as it seems like a different issue.

What sites are you seeing this issue occur in – only this project or multiple projects? When did it start occurring? Can you send me the site Read-Only links please?

Can you please try the following:

Could you also please let me know what Safari browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page?

There should be a small share link when you visit the page which you can send to me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Brando,

It only appears to be an issue in this particular project. There’s a read-only link above in previous post.

I’m using Safari 10.1 and Chrome 66 (Brave) on Mac OS X (Yosemite).

whatismybrowser.com/w/BX4ZPG9
whatismybrowser.com/w/N8FPBT2

I’ll try disabling all the plug-ins and report back.

Thanks
Will

I have disabled all my plug-ins and extensions for both Safari and Brave, the issues still persist.

The editor has always been a little wonky for me at times but it’s nearly unusable for this project now unfortunately. Wondering if there’s something I’ve added recently that’s snafued it?

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting me know about your browser versions.

Based on your screenshot the URL looks like this is an issue with the Designer rather than the Editor(client-facing interface; is this correct?

Can you please try opening you Chrome dev tools and take a screenshot of your console there? This will help us determine what errors are being thrown.

Can you also let me know what steps you are taking to see the Designer crash?

Hi Brando,

Yes, it’s the designer interface that I’m having trouble with. Double-clicking a symbol object creates the biggest issue, it can be very laggy and jumbles up what I input into text fields or doesn’t update at all.

Safari just gives me a blank page as described above.

It’s also laggy with basic content within divs.

Here’s a screen-grab for my console…

Hopefully something you can help me with.

Thanks
Will

Here’s another. The Brave Helper is killing my CPU.

Hi @WillPrice

I did some testing on this end but the project ran very smoothly for me in the Designer (GIF).

I did some more digging and it looks like Brave hogging PC usage is a known issue with MacOS (I just saw your comment on this thread :smile: )

We typically recommend using standard Chrome when working in the Designer for the best performance experience. Can you please try this to see if it resolves the issue for you?

OK thanks. I’ll give the standard Chrome a try and report back.

Hmm. It’s actually worse in Chrome for me. Here’s a console grab.

Here’s an example of how text gets jumbled around when editing a symbol object. It’s very odd.

HI @WillPrice

That’s definitely weird! Two follow up questions for you:

1. Can you point me to an area on your project where this jumbled up text is happening?
  2. It sounds like the text may include some odd characters – did you by chance copy/paste this content from another app like Word?

​Thanks in advance!

Hi Brando,

I’ve typed all the site content directly into Webflow, so it shouldn’t be the dreaded word formatting.

This particular offender is the symbol named ‘general-contact’, it’s attached to the foot of all the pages in the blog and also the ‘Smiddy’ page. See what you can find.

Although it’s not totally isolated to that symbol, the others can do the same, it’s intermittent. Sometimes they edit OK. Consistently broken when using Safari however, I get the blank page.

It’s must be my system.

Appreciate the time.

Thanks
Will

Hi @WillPrice

Thanks for letting me know about that section. I was able to see the glitchy text behavior on this end and I’ve reported it to our team for further investigation.

I was able to find a workaround, though.

1. Add a new Paragraph element right below the corrupt one
  2. Assign the para-large, white class names
  3. Copy all text from the corrupt paragraph and paste it into the new one
  4. Add class names back to the para-links
  5. Delete corrupt paragraph

I took these steps and the new paragraph seemed to be stable compared — I was able to make edits as expected with no glitchy behavior.

I’ll post back here as soon as I have more details for you from the team.

Thanks Brando, I’ll follow those workarounds.

Fingers crossed the team can find a cause and solution.

Will

1 Like

@WillPrice we have a fix on the way! :slight_smile: I’ll update you when it’s live!

@WillPrice

Our team pushed a fix! :tada: Once you refresh the Designer, you shouldn’t see this weird behavior anymore.

Fantastic, much appreciated. I’ve just made an update without any issues.

Do you know what it was out of interest?

Thanks again.
Will

1 Like

Actually, the designer is a lot faster now.

Superb service. :fist_right:

2 Likes

Hi @WillPrice

Thanks so much for the kind words - happy to hear everything is back to normal.

We recently pushed an update to the Designer that affects how text is edited on the canvas, and this bug slipped through the cracks. I appreciate your help getting this reported though as it definitely helped us isolate and resolve the issue faster :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.