My client has reported that the menu dropdowns on https://www.middlesex.tennis are no longer working in Chrome since he updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 PC recently. His version of Chrome is 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit). I am also having same problem on my Mac (10.14.2 Mojav) using same version of Chrome.
Strangely - he and I can both view and interact with the dropdowns on the staging site (which has exactly same content as the live site) at https://middlesex-tennis.webflow.io/
I have checked the css for all Nav styles - and can confirm I only updated things like margins, padding, font colours etc (i.e. nothing relating to positioning or visibility etc).
I have cleared the browser cache, closed and re-opened the browser numerous times - with no success. I have also turned anti-virus off, momentarily, to test - and this made no difference. I don’t have any unusual extensions installed in Chrome - and have tested the site after temporarily disabling those few that I do have.
There are no problems with the numerous other sites, with similar dropdowns, that I have created in Webflow. The only differences with this site is that are that it has Webflow CMS hosting in a separate Webflow account (owned by my client). All of my other sites are in a Pro account and all hosted externally by other host companies.
Hoping someone may be able to shed some light…