We are launching our new website on Webflow and migrating our domain from .io to .ai. I don’t have enough expertise in this area, and I have done some research but wanted to check with experts in the Webflow community.
We are ranking very high for our domain keywords currently. I am worried that the migration would hurt our ranking. Specifically, I have the following questions regarding SSL cert:
- We have a custom SSL cert with Sectigo for the new domain but cannot afford an enterprise account to upload our custom SSL cert. Does custom SSL affect/improve SEO? Or is there no difference between using our own or Webflow’s SSL service (Let’s Encrypt)?
- Assume we’re going with Webflow’s SSL, our current domain (.io)'s SSL cert is from a different issuer than Let’s Encrypt. Would the switch in SSL issuer affect our SEO?
For keeping our SEO rankings up, we plan on doing the following:
- Add 301 redirects to the new domain
- Update Google search console with new domain
- Upload new sitemap to search console
- Ask third parties to update URL
- Customer communications - on the fence about this one, I’m thinking soft launch first then add it in the monthly newsletter ~2 weeks after the website switch
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!