Designer crashes after adding 10+ CMS items on page

Hey! Every time I allow more than 10 CMS items in a collection list, it freezes the page, then eventually crashes.

It gets stuck on a URL similar to the screenshot above.

I’ve tried creating a new browser instance in chrome. I’ve tried chrome canary.

The %CPU spikes to 100 in both chrome and safari every time I update the CMS collection to show 10+ items.

Is this my laptop? I have the newest MacBook Pro. I’m ready to buy a new desktop or laptop if there’s no way to fix this. But, there has to be a way to have more than 10 CMS items on a page without it crashing, right?

IMPORTANT: this channel is not maintained by our Support team.

For outages, please check: https://status.webflow.com/

If you have an issue with your account or experience any bugs on the site, please contact our support team directly: Webflow Customer Support | Webflow University (this is the best way to communicate bugs to our team and get the fastest help and updates).

The Webflow team does not maintain this category with updates on outages or bugs.

One way to test would be to share your read-only and see if other members experienced similar issues. That way we could rule out your environment or rule in the project as the source of the problem.

Sorry, but it doesn’t happen with the read-only link.

After updating the collection items limit to 10+ or turning pagination off and publishing, it freezes and eventually says the page is unresponsive.

I’ve tried the designer on a different laptop, a PC desktop, and iMac. All of them didn’t work. As well as in chrome and safari. Every variable has been ruled out.

UPDATE AND HOW I FIXED IT - KIND OF:

I hope this helps other people who may be having the same issue! :slight_smile:

Note: There’s still a problem in the designer with CMS items, but this is a temporary workaround.

I had 15 CMS fields connected to each collection item being displayed. Once I removed 6 of the connected CMS fields (leaving me with 9 connected fields in each cms item) it let me publish the site with more than 10 CMS items in the collection list.

Will this problem of the designer crashing and not letting me publish get worse as I create more CMS items? I’ll be adding quite a few CMS items.

I’d also like to be able to connect more than 9 fields to each CMS item. Is there anything I can do to allow me to connect more than 9 CMS fields to each item without the designer crashing and freezing?

Will a more powerful desktop like an iMac pro have any impact on this? Does it have to do with my CPU, GPU, or RAM? By the way, I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to hardware. haha.

Thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

**Edit: I shared another work around I found with jetboost.io below. If your having the same problem as me, this will keep your designer running smoothly with a lot of CMS items (plus a lot of connected CMS fields) on a page. Mine hasn’t froze, crashed, or slowed down since I setup jetboost’s pagination booster.

I was specifically talking about you sharing the project read only. Please include your site’s Read-Only Share Link with your question.
A read-only link allows the community to view your project without making any edits to it and help diagnose your issue or provide feedback.

If your project has custom code or layout issues on the published site, please share that URL/URI as well.

https://discourse.webflow.com/t/how-to-enable-a-webflow-share-link/2573rw

Sorry, as I said in the previous comment - the website freezing doesn’t happen on the read-only link. Since it freezes and crashes when publishing the website and you can’t publish a read-only link, that’s of no help. And of course, if the site won’t publish, you can’t see any layout issues on the published site…

I think I’m going to give up on troubleshooting this and just create a workaround with Jetboost to show more CMS items on the live site and keep the CMS items within each collection in the designer to a minimum of 10.

Thank you, though! :slight_smile:

If anyone else runs into the same issue, jetboost.io has a pagination feature that will override the pagination settings in webflow.

So, you can limit the number of CMS items in the designer (to around 5 items per page with webflow pagination settings), then set the jetboost.io booster to show 50 items per page (or what ever amount) and it will override the webflow pagination settings on the live site. Keeping the designer running smoothly/publishing smoothly and the live site showing all the CMS items you want per page!

Saved the day for me. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.