I have a developer blog and I really would like to share my work with the dev.to community (and maybe with the Medium community too) because I think I can solve a problem with my posts here and there…
However, after quite some research, I’m kind of stuck with how to painlessly cross post my articles to dev.to.
I host my developer blog on webflow and write my stuff in Google Docs.
Things I’ve tried and/or thought of:
The RSS importer does not work properly (just article snippets and formatting wrong).
From the Gdocs and the webflow editors I can flawlessly copy-paste to Medium(). But on dev.to the RTF stuff is kindly ignored, which leaves me with an unbearable task of editing the format, the links, the pictures…
Post a short summary of the post with the link
Highly Automated Pipeline
- Write everything in markdown in VSCode checked by the VSCode Grammarly plugin.
- Push to GitHub
- GitHub action picks it up and sends it to Webflow/dev.to API (I wouldn’t be able to post to Medium then without problems, but I can actually live without Medium TBH)
However, there are many wonderous questions:
- How well will the platforms handle the markdown body?
- How to handle the pain of having to pre-upload all pictures?
- How do I handle updating the posts? (different GitHub actions with different requests?)
- etc etc
I mean, the HTML is up there: fullstack.coach…
- Scrape it
- Push it through a markdown parser
- Send it to dev.to
(but again all the questions from the previous section… and probably even more…)
Before I throw myself into highly automated pipelines or scraping , which both sound like fun and time consumption:
Am I overthinking or is there maybe a better path that I am missing?