Code Export with Airtable and Finsweet

Hello Everybody!

I am wondering if anybody has experience with using Airtable as a CMS in Webflow, in order to still have dynamic Content after Code export. The Question I am having concerns Finsweets Library for Filtering. Do they still work when the Code is exportet and hostet somewhere else?

Appreciate all you thoughts on this😊
Anni

Airtable isn’t designed as a CMS, so you’ll likely encounter some performance issues if you’re trying to pull data in realtime, and you might even get blocked temporarily if you exceed request limits.

FS CMS Filter and CMS Load primarily work with Webflow Collection Lists as a content and UX element source, to construct a dynamic results page. When you export a site from Webflow, no CMS content is exported, including your collection pages and collection lists. They all just disappear from the layout.

However, the FS Filter & Load libs do have API’s which you can use to source your data from other external sources using custom JS. I remember a demo video in the API docs where Alex ( FS ) uses an API as a datasource.

So, basically, the answer is that you can use FS Filter and probably FS Load on an exported site, as long as you custom build both your UX and your data retrieval mechanisms. Airtable might work as a data storage, but only for sites with low traffic that can afford the performance hit.

If you’re just trying to export a CMS-based site for a project that has no funds for hosting, and where the CMS content will rarely change, I usually use Udesly jamstack and Netlify for the export process. This will work with FS Filter. I haven’t tested FS Load in this scenario.

1 Like

Thank you Micheal, your Responses are always much appreciated!
Basically what I am trying to figure out is, if it is possible to bild an e-commerce site small business) with webflow-code-export and host it only paying the domain costs, stripe fees and the domain. I thought that there is a good change that this maybe achieved somehow but haven’t figured out the best way. Do you have experience with that by any chance?

1 Like

I do, but it depends on the type of e-commerce support you need.
If it’s extremely simple… a handful of products with no shopping cart, or a simple subscription membership, you can do direct stripe integration, or direct paypal links.
It won’t be elegant or beautiful but it will work well.

If you need a cart, I’d look at foxy.io, or use Paypal Lite, for the buy now button support. That runs about $9/mo, and you don’t need Webflow hosting for that. Not sure about foxy, but I think it would run well on an exported site also.

Keep in mind, you lose the advantages of quick publishing and updates, the CMS, etc. But sometimes the minimum hosting cost is the thing you need most.

Yes I checked the option with a stripe product link, but i was wondering if i can have a shopping card logic client side and save the cost somehow and send it to paypal maybe via an api and process the checkout. Everything after the buy button doesn’t need to be pretty:)

Paypal has a way to create a custom payment link with a custom amount, so if you custom code a cart you can hand that off in link form to collect payment. Again… it’s ugly. I only do it in situations where a standard cart won’t work, such as tour bookings which have weird business logic.

So basically if you can figure out a price and currency, you can trigger a paypal checkout.

It’s not well documented however, so I wrote it into SA5 for easier link gen;

I guess that would be mentioned here if true but anyways I ask. Doesn’t Stripe also offer possibility to create a link with custom amount?

Did you manage to make it work @Anni_Greunig ?

In the past, no. That would have been my preferred approach also.

However recently Stripe released a new feature called Payment Links which might offer something new. The key question is whether you can specify an adhoc amount in the URL, calculated from what the user selected, or whether you’d need to make secure API calls to generate the custom payment link.

In a large automated merchant provider, you need that locked-price security so that someone doesn’t buy that new Lambo for $1, and the system autoships it.

But for smaller businesses working with variable purchase amounts, who handle each transaction individually, the flexibility is more important.

I’m still watching for Stripe to offer that… at a glance Payment Links look like they support custom amounts but must be created through an API call. Dig in if this is relevant to you, let us know what you find.