Streaming live at 10am (PST)

CMS in Ecommerce

Hi again All folks.

Here is another question i would like to have an answer on. Let’s say i already have a Webflow site using the CMS, in my CMS i already have tables with the same name as the Ecom uses, like product and collection. What will happend?

Hey @JanneWassberg

The following answer is based on my knowledge as an Alpha tester and could be subject to change.

If you have cms collections with the slugs /product and /category, in order to enable Eccommerce it’ll ask those collections to be renamed first.

If you need to move products from an existing cms collection to the new ones, that will be done using the CSV import/export functionality.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what to expect.

2 Likes

Yep, what @matthewpmunger said – currently, you will need to rename the existing CMS collections and slugs using those that are required for Ecommerce to be enabled.

We do hope to make this more flexible in the future – allowing you to rename or use different slugs for your special Ecommerce collections, similar to how we enabled slug renaming for standard CMS collections. But that is not possible at this time.

Hi,
we currently use Webflow CMS. Our products are described within a CMS collection. We now want to move to Webflow eCommerce so that the products can be bought directly via a shop. From what I saw we can enable eCommerce for building by clicking on the shopping cart in the designer. The following dialogue appears:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-09 um 09.56.57
We now have the following question:
Do we have to move to the eCommerce plan before being finished with building our shop to still be able to publish new content in our existing CMS collections?
Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Hi @Fellomas

There are two answers to your question:

1. You can enable Ecommerce functionality (that the modal you’ve shared is part of), and still continue using your current plan (i assume you have one of the CMS plans, right?) to publish CMS content
  2. You can design build your store and then switch to one of the Ecommerce when you’re ready to go live with your store

Note: unfortunately if you’d want to test the full checkout flow, you’ll need to have the entire setup ready for production: plan, payment provider, as we currently don’t have a “test mode”

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have additional questions!
Maciej

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you @maciejjasinski!