Can Webflow pull this off?

I run the creative department for a small-ish artist management agency who focuses on visual artists. I’m trying to discern if Webflow can pull off the following as a temporary solution/mvp until our devs have time to build a proper web app in the fall:

Search Page

• List our talent in a searchable directory
  • Filter by: Artist Type, Location (two separate collection lists?) - Jetboost?
  • Search by: Name (Keyword) - Jetboost?
  • Each Artist/item in the main collection would have a thumbnail image and some other basic items like: name, and location.

Portfolio Page

• Typical bio, links to artists websites, social profiles etc.
  • Gallery of the artists work (with large cropped thumbnails that when clicked, load a larger, un-cropped version in a modal)
  • In the case of artists who do video work, the modal that would pop up when the thumbnail is clicked, would contain a video player. From what I gather, videos in collection items aren’t possible. That said, I’ve heard of people working around this by using Vimeo?

That’s essentially it. My concerns are:

• For the main page/search, would all 300 collection items load on page-load? Sounds like potential performance and UX issue, if it’s pulling 300 thumbnail images? Any way to load on scroll, while preserving searching/filtering of the entire collection?
  • Any easy way to allow editors/contributors on our staff to create crops for the thumbnails without doing them manually in something like Photoshop? Ideally, it would be great if they could upload a file, select the crop and save it so that it would be used in the search. 3rd party plugins/integrations would be ok if necessary.
  • On the “portfolio page” would it be possible to have nested collections for different galleries of work? Ie. so that the page is more organized vs just a flat collection?

Sounds easy enough. Bullet by bullet…

• For the main page/search, would all 300 collection items load on page-load? Sounds like potential performance and UX issue, if it’s pulling 300 thumbnail images? Any way to load on scroll, while preserving searching/filtering of the entire collection?

You nailed it. You’ll want to enable lazy loading images for everything that isn’t on-screen. It’s a simply checkbox that’s already checked by default. That reduces your page content to just 300 “things” of HTML, which a browser will handle easily.

• Any easy way to allow editors/contributors on our staff to create crops for the thumbnails without doing them manually in something like Photoshop? Ideally, it would be great if they could upload a file, select the crop and save it so that it would be used in the search. 3rd party plugins/integrations would be ok if necessary.

This is where you have to be a good care-taker of the Web: You should ALWAYS crop and compress your images yourself before you upload them, because Webflow doesn’t know whether you intend to use them as thumbnails or giant, gorgeous, zooming backgrounds. Lucky you, there’s https://squoosh.app/ for this, and it’s all online—nothing to download.

• On the “portfolio page” would it be possible to have nested collections for different galleries of work? Ie. so that the page is more organized vs just a flat collection?

Yes, though, technically, this is a little more technical than just adding categories to CMS records. You’ll want to either publish separate pages for each sub-category OR use a tool like MixItUp, F*inSweet, or Isotope

I hope that helps.

Of course, if our services can be of any help, shoot me a DM.