Beta feedback: Audit panel

Hey @Sabine_BluePaprika apologies for the late response. For inline SVGs added via the embed element, you’ll need to manually add alt="text goes here" into the code. Here’s a great article that explains more. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Hey @timsolly We agree and the ability to add alt-text directly on the CMS asset in our list of accessibility improvements. Please add your votes for this functionality if you haven’t already.

https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-157

1 Like

Thanks @matthewpmunger for your reply! For some reason, now the error messages were gone. But I will try your technique if I saw the error messages show up again!

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me Matthew! I do understand you all have a lot going on. I did figure out a workaround, I simply added form fields specifically for alt tags. The process requires a few more CMS collections and twice as many fields (one for the image, the other for the alt-tag), but overall this solution works for now.

Ideally, I feel the ability to add alt-tags directly to each image field would be far better, but until that happens this is a plausible workaround.

Keep up the great work and thanks to you and everyone who keeps on developing and improving Webflow!

2 Likes

Parent link blocks do not pull through alt-text for child Lottie animations.
The audit panel also doesn’t recognise custom attributes such as title=“”

I am finding the Audit panel very useful!

1 Like

Would it be possible to have a fixed height for the “issues to improve” section? When going to publish, it is often empty and there is a slight delay for the content to appear. As a result, I often end up accidentally clicking to look at audit data instead of correctly clicking “publish to selected domains” button.

Hey @ColleenBrady that shouldn’t be happening, so I’m going to remove that from the wishlist and report it as a bug. Do you happen to have a GIF or video of it happening or possibly try and get one? I have not seen or heard of that visual bug before. Do you notice it happening with slow internet speeds, slow browser performance, or other factors that might be related? Any additional information will definitely help us isolate what is happening. Thanks for alerting us.

Thanks for the quick response @matthewpmunger.

I’ll work to get a GIF or video.

Based on Twitter responses, happens to others too.

1 Like

@matthewpmunger - Sending you a video separately showing the behavior. Thanks again for getting this info to the right folks within Webflow.

1 Like

Hey @ColleenBrady this issue has been fixed. Thanks again for reporting it and let us know if you still experience it.

1 Like

Thank you @matthewpmunger and the WF engineering team.

1 Like

Hi, the audit panel is great. As i understand it now, you have to go to each page and see if there are issues? Is there a way of seeing all the issues? Or to navigate within in the audit panel to the different pages?

Hey @Laura_Touchant1 the way is works for now is that you must navigate to a page in order for the Audits to see the elements on the page and examine them. We definitely do understand that the ability to globally audit the entire site would be a big boost to the workflow. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

Hey @matthewpmunger

Thank you very much for you answer :slight_smile:

It’s work for SVG but when you have a bg video with a link on. Where/How can you embed an alt code ?

Hey @Sabine_BluePaprika

Background videos are not an actual HTML element but a div with video as the background media. Background media, whether image or video, should not need alt text since anything background should not be important information. If it is important information, then the media should be moved out of the background and into an image or video element. This way it is semantic, can receive attributes like alt, and be recognized by browsers and screenreader.

For your screenshot, with the title and list elements also being inside the link block, a screen reader will announce all of that information when focusing on the link. That is a bit verbose, meaning more information than is required for the visitor and can be frustrating to hear all of that text read out every time the link is focused. The solution for this is to move the list outside the link so that only the card’s title is inside and read by screenreaders.

If the Auditor is incorrectly flagging those links as being empty links, please let us know and share the project’s read-only link if possible.

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, the Auditor asks me to add an alt on my videos.
I’m trying to improve www.bluepaprika.co to send it to your team to be partners :slight_smile:

Here, you can find the read-only link : https://preview.webflow.com/preview/bluepaprika?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=bluepaprika&preview=711400f8ce67a76dd414f82e482deea6&workflow=preview
I will take your feedbacks with pleasure on our website :slight_smile:

Thank you very much
Best regards

Sabine

Sabine Zeitoun
Co-founder & CCO
22 rue d’orléans
92200 Neuilly-Sur-Seine
+33 6 30 80 09 36
www.bluepaprika.co

@Sabine_BluePaprika Those links that are being flagged are empty, meaning there is no text contained within. These links are in a section that is only visible on the phone breakpoint.

To fix the issue, add text or image with alt text inside the link that describes its destination.

1 Like

Set alt text already on my images in the CMS, yet it says that I did not set alt text. Wtf? Is it just me being stupid or this is something else?

This looks like a bug… I’ve got an alt text field in the CMS which is being pulled through, but getting an error on the audit.