API and Webhooks learning resources. Memberships in LATAM

Does anybody has experience of getting membership subscriptions to work without Stripe/PayPal. I’m sure API and Webhooks hold the answers but my knowledge is limited and I haven’t found much in terms of learning resources.

Working in Argentina make using these payment processors (Stripe/PayPal) as good as impossible. Foxy.io almost was a solutions but their setup can’t handle the Mercado Pago credit card subscriptions payments API (although they did say they might look into it).

There are some local solutions like Mobbex/Fresa (here), but their documents are a little out of reach for me, I have some years of Webflow experience but it’s limited, I didn’t do much with API and Webhooks so far and don’t know where to head to start learning.

I have not actually looked to see, but a lot of payment and subscription systems have their own baked-in payment processor as well. For example, Shopify has Shopify Payments, which is the default if you don’t choose and setup a different payment processor.

I’d expect membership systems to be similar. Check Memberstack and Webflow Memberships BETA to see if they have a solution that works for you.

Hi Mike thanks for the reply. Exactly as you say, a lot of payment and subscription systems have their own baked-in payment processor, and from what I have seen so far it is usually Stripe and/or USD-centric. What’s more, most of the wishlists for most of the products you could think of are wishing for Mercadopago support, Mercadopago has an API that ‘should’ work… but nobody integrates it.

This is 100% doable.

I’ve been showing people for years how to do this through my tutorials & screencasts.

What I’ve found is most membership sites only support what you’ve just mentioned for paid memberships, but they (typically) also have a free membership option.

That’s where it get’s interesting for your situation.

I’ve done a lot of work where I’ve used the free membership option (for authentication and access controls) and then integrated my own 3rd party payment processor.

This bypasses the restriction of a platform not supporting the payment processor you need to use.

As you’ve mentioned, Webhooks & APIs are your friend (along with glue services).

…my knowledge is limited and I haven’t found much in terms of learning resources.

My blog has a lot of tutorials and screencasts walking through many of the bits & pieces that you need to make all of this work together:

If you go through my tutorials and screencasts for those topics you’ll get the baseline education you need to make this work.

Then…

I do have a tutorial walking through setting up Stripe with Webflow to gate access to it without using any membership platforms (not even their own beta):

Step-by-step walk through using Webhooks to "Gate Access to Webflow with Stripe Payments "

It’s advanced, so I’d recommend my tutorials and screencasts, first.

Once you learn how to do this with Stripe you can apply those learnings to any payment processor that has Webhooks + APIs (which is most of them).

Mercadopago has an API that ‘should’ work… but nobody integrates it.

Don’t wait for others, integrate it yourself.

This part is universal.

That advanced walk through is part of a free email course I provide.

Find it at the bottom of this tutorial:

Signup for it and you’ll get a PDF download that is a VERY detailed walk through of exactly (step-by-step) how to set up Stripe, with Webflow (to gate content) using Webhooks + API’s.

Here are some other tutorials to help get you started:

…and you can follow up those with others that walk you through building real world solutions with Webhooks + APIs, for example:

This uses Webhooks and API’s to solve that problem (and there are more on my site).

@Max_Wilson this is doable, and you can do it! :+1:

Hi ChrisDrit thank you for your response, I didn’t come across your resources before but this all looks awesome, thank you, legend.

“It’s frustrating that Webflow doesn’t walk you through Webhooks and APIs with one of their fun little University videos.” – exactly this, that’s exactly how I should have put it myself. I did sign up for your email just now but didn’t see the PDF download!

Thanks again Chris.

1 Like

:pray:

It’s an email course and arrives on day 5. The days prior all lead up to and help tackle that advanced build. If you can’t wait just DM or email me.