A bunch of things I could use some help with on my directory site

Hey forum,

I recently built (on Webflow) and launched a website directory of brand and digital product design studios, you can see it here

It’s had quite a good response online, and now I’d love your help with some things I’d like to improve on the site, including bugs and the potential new features.

First off, the site uses the CMS grid and the Atttributes filtering system created by Finsweet. If any of you have used this before, I’d love to know if it’s possible to retain the filters when you change pages in the collection. At the moment, if you select filters and then change page, it resets.

The other thing I’d love to hear from any of you is about adverts. I want to add a tile into the CMS grid which would feature a sponsored post, and always stay in the same place (e.g. always be the 4th tile on the top row of the grid). What is the best way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope you like the site :smiley:

Cheers,
Jamie

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

On this part…

If you’ve applied the CSS grid directly to your Collection List, you’ll probably need to insert this item using script. I’d create it as a DIV outside of the Collection List, and ID it ad-1. Also ID your Collection List ( not the wrapper or item, but the list itself ) as list-1.

Then in /body custom code, this will move it into your collection list.

<script>
$(function() {
  $("#ad-1").appendTo("#list-1");
});
</script>

To position it, try this CSS in /head custom code;

<style>
#ad-1 {
  grid-column: 4 / 1;
  grid-row: 1 / 1;
}
</style>
1 Like

Interested to hear what you find out. Perhaps Finsweet can tell you. I don’t know how it would work in Webflow… in another system I use, I would have a dynamic URL that passes the search terms as a parameter from page to page.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll definitely try this :pray:

This is a good point, I’ll reach out to finsweet and post here with any info , thanks :+1:

thanks for sharing this, I’ve been trying it out but for some reason when I add the ID ‘ad-1’ to the DIV it disappears and doesn’t show up on the site (even when published)

do you know what might be happening?

You might be assigning it to a row and column that doesn’t exist?
Can’t say. You might want to dig into some examples of CSS grids and try some things.

yeah I’ll take a look into some grid examples as well. Doing some troubleshooting I feel like the issue is that whenever I give any DIV an element ID (e.g. ad-1) it disappears from the site

any ideas why that might be? thanks :pray:

Ha if the id begins with ad my first guess is that your ad blocker is killing them.

thanks for that, i think it was the ad blocker because I changed it to sponsored and it seems to be showing up now

the only problem is it doesn’t seem to be fitting into the CMS grid properly - atm it sits at the bottom of the grid rather than inside it on the top right. Any ideas what might be happening?

I can’t access the designer while traveling, my laptop screen is too small to navigate it. However if your screenshot is referring to the element at the very bottom, it doesn’t look like it’s inside your grid or collection list at all. Even your pagination is above it.

Perhaps you can describe more clearly what you’re trying to do and what it’s not doing, and someone can take a look at your readonly link.