Streaming live at 10am (PST)

50% traffic decrease when switching to webflow

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well.

Our website traffic has decreased 50% ever since made the move to Webflow (previously on joomla). I have followed all the SEO recommendations from the webflow blog and also form the youtube videos in terms of indexing, crawl, image alternate text, etc.

Please refer to the screenshot with our google analytics, you can see how in september our webflow website went live, and the traffic decreased considerably.

Could you please have a look and see if there is anything that I am missing? Any ideas are welcome because I need to increase our traffic.

Our school website is www.vanas.ca

Here is the share link:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/vanas?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=dashboard&utm_content=vanas&preview=e0813a8642d8230ad7ff6233568f6e29&workflow=preview

Thank you.

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Are you running google search console? If so what is it telling you? I’ve seen big drops in traffic when 301 redirects were not put into place which is usually needed since the paths usually change on content when migrating a site. Your site is indexed in Google with 300+ pages, I don’t know what you ranked for before but you should be looking at where changes have occurred. Hard to say what your issue is without deep diving all the data and having access to search console and analytics.

You are using lots of H1 elements per page and you really should be following the document outline. This could be a big source of your issue.

This is not something that is normally going to be resolved in a forum. Maybe you should consider getting professional SEO help which is something I have provided as a service since 2005 in my current company. Feel free to reach out.

1 Like

You have a huge design problem on your page.
Using H1 tags for everything is cause for a big red flag. Most of your images don’t have an alt text.

You need to hire someone to fix this for you.

@Gaston_Garcia - Did you miss this?

Yes! I replied to the OP without reading comments.

Hi Webdev and Gaston,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I appreciate them.

Regarding the H1 tags, all sources indicate google does not penalize or hurts SEO with or by the use of one or many H1 tags or others. You can refer to the link below, and you’ll find more evidence if do a google search with the same topic/question.

Thank you for your time and we’ll keep investigating the issue.

Best,

https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/15267057/having-multiple-h1-tags-hurt-seo?hl=en

I suggest a read of <h1>–<h6>: The HTML Section Heading elements - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

The issue using multiple H1’s is that there is no document outline. It actually makes it harder for search engines to infer meaning since you are saying that each is just as important as any other on the page. Feel free to do whatever makes you happy.

1 Like

Looking at GA and GSC charts you’ve shared @pochat I’m guessing that most of the pages might be lost in the migration. Are you sure that all the pages and content are transferred as is?

If you’re not you can check that if they exist in GSC → Coverage tab and click the Valid box to see what pages are indexed or not. That will tell you a lot if you’re having indexing issues or something else.

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback, I really appreciate the Webflow community.

@webdev I’ll read the post you added. Thank you.
@yigit All content from the previous website was migrated by hand and adapted to webflow. Nevertheless, I’ll follow your direction on GSC. thank you.

Also, I received an email from Webflow support with other aspects. I’m going to implement these as well.

Again, thank you for your time. Have a great weekend.

regarding the use of h1s, it’s fine to use lots of h1s and you can create a clean outline with multiple H1s, but ONLY if you know what you are doing and nest them properly in section and article elements. If you aren’t writing the HTML from scratch (which you are not since you are using webflow) you should disregard the advice you read saying multiple H1s are ok. Instead use h1-h6 to create your outline as was mentioned above. You should only use one h1 which would be the top level, then you are allowed to use multiple of each other heading as you go down.

Hi Brent,

Thank you for taking the time to write on my post. I appreciate it.

I already did these changes by following the recommendations from the previous posts. I found also a good SEO videos from other webflow experts, and in one of them I found a great chrome extension to visualize the headings like a Table of Contents.

Finally, I did all the changes through a couple of days, and the content is now neatly organized into their corresponding headings. Look at the screenshot below, and on the left hand side you can see the extension in action.

Thank you again for your time.

Have a great evening.

Cool, what extension is that!

Nice looking outline by the way :+1:

Hi Brent,

Here is the link to the Headings Map chrome extension.

And here is the video from Samuel Gregory who explains the Document Outline.

Thanks again.

The question is not whether the content was transferred to Webflow by hand, it’s whether or not the 301 redirects were set up properly.

You’ve likely changed the URL structure with the new site and if you did not add the redirects, then you will see a huge drop in traffic like this as Google will not know where to send people who click or interact with the old links that they have indexed in the past.

Did you set up 301 redirects for all the pages in your Webflow dashboard? I have not seen that step mentioned here in the post.

P.s. You can do bulk 301 redirects with the new Chrome extension for Webflow by Finsweet. Finsweet Chrome Extension for Webflow